You are currently viewing DHS again raises possibility of halting processing at major airports – USA Today

DHS again raises possibility of halting processing at major airports – USA Today

Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin raised the possibility again of halting customs and immigration processing at major airports in so-called sanctuary cities, according to reports from The Atlantic and Reuters.
According to reports, Mullin privately warned travel executives last week that the Department of Homeland Security could stop processing international travelers and cargo at airports in cities that do not cooperate with the Trump administration’s immigration enforcement efforts.
Reuters reported the cities discussed included Denver, Philadelphia, Chicago, Los Angeles, New York City, Newark, Seattle and San Francisco.
The Atlantic first reported details of the meeting, saying the proposal could potentially be considered after the FIFA World Cup concludes in July. The outlet reported that Mullin told airline and tourism leaders DHS may reduce Customs and Border Protection staffing at airports serving sanctuary jurisdictions.
DHS referred USA TODAY to the secretary’s appearance on Fox News’ “Special Report,” when asked about Mullin’s comments.
Mullin first floated the idea publicly during an April appearance on “Special Report,” questioning whether cities with sanctuary policies should continue receiving international customs processing.
“If they’re a sanctuary city, should they really be processing customs into – into their city?” Mullin said at the time.
The proposal immediately drew pushback from major travel organizations. Airlines for America warned that reducing customs staffing at major airports “would have a devastating effect on the airline and tourism industries,” potentially disrupting flights, passengers and international cargo operations.
U.S. Travel, which represents major airlines, hotel chains, rental ​car firms and ​others, said on “domestic ⁠and international inbound travel alike, we urge governments at all levels to adopt policies that promote the ​free and efficient flow of legitimate travelers.”
Transportation Secretary Sean Duffy appeared to distance himself from the proposal during a House hearing Thursday, May 21, saying, “We shouldn’t shut down air travel in a state that doesn’t agree with our politics.”
Contributing: Reuters

source

Leave a Reply